Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily and while our relationship flowed naturally, there have been a few bumps in our road to happiness...
While my sons are accepting of this man who stole their mother's heart, it became apparent that his girl child wasn't and still is not accepting of my place in his life. His son has been politely indifferent to the situation but his teenage daughter, for whatever reason, harbors some deep seated jealousy in regards to me. It was never my intention to steal her father from her or unseat her from her place in any way, but still she regards me as the enemy. I have tried to do nice things for her to show her that I come in peace, in gestures of friendship, but they are never acknowledged or appreciated, so after a few years of being the bigger person, I disengaged myself from the situation, stepped back and stopped trying. I no longer do anything that she alone will benefit from as my time is much better spent doing things for those who are willing to show even the smallest degree of gratitude for my efforts.
I'm not sure where it comes from, as I have always been kind and treated her no differently than I would one of my own. It's a shame, too, as I would have really liked to have had a girl in my life that I could take shopping or share some of the wisdom that I had learned through the years, but sadly, I just don't see that happening as I'm viewed as some sort of competition to her.
She has helped herself to my personal items without asking, as though she's entitled to the things that I have worked hard for, simply because they're there and because I'm dating her father. When asked to refrain from that, she has resorted to taking things from me without my knowledge and being untruthful when her father inquires about it, even though nobody else is present or would have a use for female trappings.
I have had to be the bigger person in this situation, as my relationship with my partner means the world to me and have had to resort to locking up those things that tend to grow legs and disappear when she coincidentally happens to be present. It should not be that way and if she gave me the respect of asking to borrow things, rather than just taking them, I would not have to go to such extremes to ensure that my things are available to me when I want or need them.
I'm the type of person who is very observant and inquisitive. I don't blindly accept status quo, rather, I want to know the back story and what makes something tick. I will dissect and reassemble, looking for the hidden meanings and reasons behind an action, trying to gain understanding. Given better resources, I have the kind of mind that could take over the world and unfortunately for me but fortunately for mankind, my funding is too limited for such endeavors , so I need to stick to a smaller scale.
WHY?
No comments:
Post a Comment