Everything has a start somewhere and being that the beginning seems the most logical, that's where this saga has it's launch...
Being a happily single girl with a relatively uncomplicated life, raising 4 sons alone, working full time and pursing my dreams as often as time allowed, one day I got a wild idea of maybe possibly dating again. As crazy as it sounds, I decided to post an online personal ad, as the thought of going out to a bar to meet someone was just not an option for me, knowing that with my luck, I would only meet multiple epitomes of very good examples of very bad examples. I'm a homebody. Once I'm in from work for the night and my bra comes off, one has better odds of winning lotto than getting me back out the door for anything other than a true emergency.
I posted an ad and after only 20 minutes, and multiple replies, I felt desperate and dirty and made my profile unsearchable to the masses. One of the replies that I received was from a very nice single father of 2, with a background in law enforcement. I thought that he might be a safe bet and so I responded back, sight unseen, as I was unable to open the pictures that he had emailed me. We had amazing dialogue for several weeks and in that time, I had backed out of several first meetings, partly because of the above mentioned post work bra removal thing but also because I had never seen what he looked like and the horrible mental image of a cop, overweight from too many donuts, scared me in a big way. Finally, I got up the nerve to tell him that I never even saw what he looked like and was afraid of what I might find, so he resent the pictures...
OH. MY. GOODNESS. He was hot. No doubt about it and I made it a point to not stand him up again. We met in a public place, the local Dunkin' Donuts after work one evening, him in his uniform and myself in medical scrubs on a the very first nice day in early Spring. We grabbed drinks and proceeded to sit on the curb outside, talking for what seemed like only a short while, but in all reality was really several hours. Time flew and I finally excused myself, explaining that my boys had not only imposed a curfew for me, but I would probably turn into a pumpkin by 8p.m. Before I left, he unexpectedly grabbed me and kissed me on the lips, both shocking me senseless and giving me a bad case of butterflies in the process.
He called me in an hour, when he got home and asked me to meet him for drinks on Friday night, 2 days later, which I did. On our date, the establishment that he chose served popcorn, and I spent the entire evening alternating between conversing and assaulting that nice, handsome officer with furtively launched air popped vegetables. He was smittened. I could tell. So was I but I didn't let on...
He called me multiple times daily afterwards and we spent a great deal of time together, getting to know one another and one day, several weeks later, out of the blue, he asked me if I removed my personal ad, because he had and from that point on, we became joined at the hip. That was nearly 3 years ago and last April, he caught me completely off guard when he called me to help him pick up building supplies at the adjacent home improvement store and he surprised me by waiting for me on the very same curb that we had our first meeting, 2 years to the day later, with a one ct. Princess cut diamond ring...
No comments:
Post a Comment