A little off topic but after almost 20 years in the field of nursing, I'm closing the chapter as it no longer serves me as it once did and am rewriting a new one that better meets my needs.
Providing healthcare is no longer what it once was and despite furthering my education to stay relevant, it's becoming next to impossible to find a full time position as a lot of employers only want to hire on a per diem basis so they don't have to provide health insurance coverage. Imagine, spending your days around individuals with a myriad of illnesses, ranging from mild to life threatening and contagious, only to not be protected if and when you contract something from one of the people that you provide hands on care to...
Just completely insane.
I accepted a position in the health insurance field, thereby removing myself from the disease lined trenches and moving to the very back, way behind the line of enemy fire. It's a career that's comparable salary wise to nursing but with some perks and benefits and no contact except via phone with those afflicted. I'm not getting any younger and someday, my body will no longer be able to meet the physical demands, so this choice is a proactive one as well as one that makes the most sense for my family as well as my future.
I'm almost giddy at the thought of never having to wear medical scrubs again. It will be nice to be able to utilize all of the beautiful business casual clothing in my closet and trade my white nursing shoes for mid heel pumps...
I won't look back with sadness or regret, but instead, look toward the future and someday aspire to having my own office with a name plate on the door.
Better days are coming, starting next week. On to bigger, better and different.
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment